Welcome to the Wikimedia Commons community portal
Are you new to Wikimedia Commons? If so, then Welcome ! Check out what we're all about (and what we are not ), or just start searching for images and other media files. You can find collections of similar files grouped by topic , or by almost any other characteristic you can think of. You can even start contributing to the project in important ways, regardless of your abilities or interests , and no matter where you live or what language you speak . All information about Commons itself is available in English , and most of it is available in other languages , as well.
This pages serves the translation for MediaWiki:Gadget-WatchlistNotice.js . Help:Watchlist messages for reference.
|ID||Human readable name||Description||Notes|
|policy_new||New policies||Request for Comments about new policies, substantial changes to or the adoption of new policies|
|policy_change||Policy changes||Recent or intended amendments to policies|
|highly_trusted_election||Election of important positions||Election of people requiring a high level of trust such as checkusers|
|technical_new||New features||New technical features|
|technical_change||Technical changes||Recent or on-going technical changes|
|technical_issue||Technical issues||Technical issues at Wikimedia Commons|
|mobile||Mobile||Everything related to Mobile access to Wikimedia Commons|
|bot_approval||Bot approval||If community input in a bot-approval request is required|
|i18n||Internationalization||Internationalization and Localization|
|poty||Picture of the Year||The Picture of the Year contest|
|wlm||Wiki loves Monuments||The Wiki Loves Monuments contest|
|photo_challenge||Commons:Photo challenge||The Wikimedia Commons “ Photo Challenge ”|
|other_media_contests||Other contests||Other media-related contests|
|glam||GLAM||Cooperation with Galleries, Libraries, Archives and Museums ( GLAM )|
|other_projects||Look at the wider picture||Information about other projects that may influence Wikimedia Commons|
|backlogs||Important backlogs||Backlogs at Wikimedia Commons that are important to be cleared in time|
|meetings_photo||Photographer meetings||Photo workshops, Photographer-relevant topics at general meetings like Wikimania|
|meetings_tech||Dev- and Tech-Meetings||Hackathons, IRC hours, Wikimedia Commons-relevant topics at general meetings like Wikimania|
- The majesty of nature (and an abundance of birds) on full display in Wiki Loves Earth 2020
- The World Health Organization and Wikimedia Foundation expand access to trusted information about COVID-19 on Wikipedia
- Imagination becomes reality in the winners of the 2019 Wiki Loves Earth photo contest
- Norway and Armenia come together to bring Bodil Biørn’s historic photographs online
- Your weekly photo from the world’s free media repository: 13 September
- Your weekly photo from the world’s free media repository: 6 September
- Your weekly photo from the world’s free media repository: 30 August
- Your weekly photo from the world’s free media repository: 23 August
- Your weekly photo from the world’s free media repository: 9 August
- Let’s play! Photographers capture the art of fun for the Wiki Loves Africa photo contest
- Help desk
- For questions about how to use Commons.
- Village pump
- Ask questions about features, problems you may have, or policy. Similar pages are available in several other languages.
- Centralized discussion
- List of ongoing discussions on policies, guidelines or other matters that have a wide impact.
- Graphic Lab
- A place where you can request wikigraphists to improve, clean up, or color your images. We also have a place for videos and sounds.
- Photography critiques
- A place where you can get feedback on your photography.
- Administrators' noticeboard
- If you need to communicate with an administrator, for example regarding blocks and protections.
- IRC channels
- #wikimedia-commons webchat Wikimedia Commons IRC channel.
- #cvn-commons webchat shows possible vandalism.
- #cvn-commons-uploads webchat shows new uploads.
- International mailing-list
- commons-l (this month)
- Phabricator : Commons bug reports and feature requests.
- Social media
- Help index
- All help, project, maintenance, discussion, policy pages and further tutorials about how to work in wikis like Wikimedia Commons are listed there. For an overview over the structure of the Wikimedia Commons project itself see Category:Commons .
- Recommended software for each media type in order to create and edit the content you want to share at Wikimedia Commons.
- Tools for uploading and further maintenance of Wikimedia Commons. Tool integration helps you add functionality to your Wikimedia Commons web interface.
- How to use Wikimedia Commons' content
- Overview on how to embed Wikimedia Commons content into various Wikimedia wikis and how to reuse Commons' content by third parties. See also the media help for software and hints how to watch images and films and listen to audio files provided by Wikimedia Commons. See Featured pictures , Valued images , Picture of the day and Media of the day for particularly valuable content you can reuse.
- Wikimedia Commons project scope
- The project definition and its derived detailed policy pages on licensing , allowed copyright tags and file types give you important information what we are and what not.
- Deletion policy
- The deletion policy is closely related to the Wikimedia Commons project scope. It defines when and how to delete content that does not belong on Wikimedia Commons for various reasons.
- Wikimedia Commons is multilingual. Use Babel in order to find contributors who speak your language. Please add information about the languages you understand to your user page. The language policy is discussed at Commons talk:Language policy .
- Users' graphics abilities
- Categorizes users by graphic and audio knowledge, abilities or interest on Commons, in order to ease finding help in any area of media expertise.
- Creation and upload
- Picture requests , free media resources for uploads to the Wikimedia Commons.
- High quality content
- Unidentified subjects , like plants, people or animals that need to be identified.
- Images for cleanup , transition to SVG of flags and graphics.
- Uncategorized media
- Media missing infobox template
- Categories for discussion , uncategorized pages , uncategorized categories .
- Maintenance in general
- Copyright issues
- Wikimedia Commons sub-projects
- Commons:Geocoding for adding geographic location information to media, Commons:Stroke Order Project and more WikiProjects .
- Wikimedia Commons templates